Friday, September 19, 2008

The NSA Teams Up with the Chinese Government to Limit Internet Anonymity

The title (above this text on my blog - AR) links to an article by Bruce Schneier, one of the top two independent Internet security experts in the United States. The other of the two, Steve Bellovin, with whom I worked writing a course on Internet security back at Bell Labs, is also cited. Schneier's article is about the UN "IP Traceback" project. Don't miss the comments, one of which reads:

"I'm working on some infosec security projects based in China, and I enjoy telling my client "the Chinese government requires a liaison who can hand over all encryption keys on request." Then when they get the very serious "oh, yes, we're dealing with China" looks on their faces I say "...which is exactly the same requirement as in the U.S." Both the U.S. and China are considered 'surveillance societies....' .... the two nations look increasingly similar. But at least having our every blog post traced back to us keeps us safe from terrorism. Or something."

Adam Reed's full disclosure: One of my pre-tenure projects was to put together a professional program in computer and network security at Cal State LA, and to obtain NSA certification for this program. I have a briefcase from one of their more open events, which is simply labeled "The Symposium" with no other text. Their own anonymity they take very, very seriously indeed...

No comments: